Jumia Nigeria announces that its 2017 Black Friday Festival has attracted more than 14 million visits since the commencement of the campaign on November 13th. The annual sales event, which was initiated in Nigeria in 2013 by Jumia remains the busiest and largest shopping day of the year on both online and offline stores.
“This year’s explosive Black Friday numbers demonstrates the increasing capacity and flexibility of the online retail space in Nigeria,” said Juliet Anammah, CEO of Jumia Nigeria. “We deliver to the 36 states across Nigeria and are able to reach neighborhoods and shoppers who traditionally have not had access to a wide variety of products and deals. This year we also see the increasing interest in groceries and other FMCG products which reflects the increasing relevance of Black Friday to the average Nigerian”.
Some key highlights of the 2017 figures:
- More than 1.9 million visits on Black Friday Big Bang. 14.4 million visits since the start of the sales event
- Overall, 85% of all visits were made on a mobile device, compared to 72% in 2016
- 86,000 smartphones and counting have been sold in the past two weeks.
- 380,000 – Number of spaghetti packets that have shipped out
- 208,214 – The number of times the Jumia app has been installed since the beginning of Black Friday festival
- The top selling feature phone has been the Tecno T401 – (Triple Sim, Back Camera with Flash)
- Items sold on Black Friday 2017 Big Bang day was 174% more compared to the items sold in 2016
Jumia also announces a new partnership with Dangote Cement. Dangote cement can now be bought on jumia.com.ng in three different quantities, available to ship to Jumia customers in Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt. The cement will retail for N2,500 per bag.
This year’s Jumia Black Friday Festival featured partnerships with Intel, Pampers, Infinix, Philips, Fero, HP, MTN and Air France-KLM. For the first time, the shopping event featured a lottery giveaway with the grand prize of a brand new car courtesy of Coscharis Nigeria Limited. Another big first this year was the sales of premium cars at up to 60% off, like the Range Rover Evoque Coupe and the Jaguar XE.
FCMB is also sponsoring an extra 10% off on all orders above N5,000 that are paid for using an FCMB account on Jumia Pay.
Filmhouse Cinemas also added excitement to the 2017 event by giving away a free cinema ticket to every Black Friday shopper who has a valid Jumia order number or invoice. In addition to this, the first 1,000 customers to place Jumia Express orders everyday receive a complimentary treat courtesy of McVities biscuits.